Sunday, October 12, 2008

Rosenberg Castle

Today I went to Rosenberg Castle. It was built in the early 1600s. In the 1800s, it became used as a storage house for the excess items of the royal family. Soon, it was turned into a museum. It was the first castle museum to organize the rooms chronologically. At the time, other museums were arranged by item. All the paintings in one room, the statues in another, tapestries in another… The castle was beautiful! There was so much to see. Beautiful, ornate rooms. Huge paintings and sculptures. Each ceiling had a different carving or painting on it. There was a throne room. The views from the castle were breathtaking. The castle overlooks Rosenberg Garden. It was easy to feel like you were back in time.

I also got the chance to see part of the royal treasury. There were all sorts of things carved out of ivory, dishes painted with gold, swords, old barrels, old wine from the 1600s. There were also jewels! They had three crowns on display. It would be impossible to count the number of jewels on each one. They were so intricate. There were huge diamonds and emeralds. So many types of expensive rocks and it was just a small display! Imagine what isn’t on display?

I ate lunch at Rosenberg Café. It is right next to the castle and is decorated in castle décor. I ordered salmon with a lemon/lime glaze. It was delicious. It also wasn’t cooked. It looked like smoked salmon so that is what I am really hoping it was. It came with a salad and some sort of pickled yellow vegetable. The vegetable wasn’t good but I probably haven’t learned how to enjoy it. I wish I could have taken a picture of my meal but my camera died. I forgot to recharge it more. I’d like to say this was my first $100 meal but really it was 100 Kroner which made it about $20. Definitely worth it for the experience and location.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet the salmon was from norweigia!!! definetly worth the pricce :) haha

.david

~BjB said...

Oh yes! Definately from Norwegia! And Sam, while you're at it, can you pick up my laundry?